W.M.S. Knox was formed in 1891 by Mrs. R.N. Grant from Orillia with sixteen members. The W.M.S. has a purpose updated over the years: “The Women’s Missionary Society is a community of Christians who purpose, in response to the love of God in Jesus Christ, is to encourage one another and all the people of the church to be involved in local and world mission through prayer, study, service and fellowship.”
No numbers are available for the early years but as time progressed many of the younger women could not attend afternoon meetings so the Young Women’s Even Auxiliary was formed in 1951. Their numbers allowed them to have as many as 8 to 10 in each of four groups. Each group prepared the program for a monthly meeting in rotation.
In 1957 the Evening Auxiliary was renamed in honour of Dorothy Lukes who graduated from Ewart College as a deaconess. She worked as a port worker in Montreal “extending a warm welcome to the newcomers.” (Glad Tidings, 1964).
Our worship offerings and donations are forwarded to the W.M.S. Council of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The largest portion of these funds are given to the Life and Mission Agency to be used to support our missionaries in Canada and abroad. We also support Synodical Education staff, the Book Room at Wynford Drive office of P.C.C. and mission exposure groups.
For more information: http://www.wmspcc.ca/
Please note that our W.M.S. closed in 2017 as our group was no longer able to meet together, however the spirit of the group continues on through the ministries of Knox Midland.